Thursday, May 7, 2009

Our Sweet "BEA"

Introducing Bradan Edward Avery
Born 5-6-09
6 lbs. 11 oz.
18 1/4 inches long

It is hard to believe he was 4 weeks early with those statistics.

The newest addition to the Avery family was born at 10:56 pm yesterday. Just like Stuart wrote the day before, I was started on the pitocin around 4 am yesterday morning. I had slight contractions but when the nurse checked my cervix at 3 pm, I had not changed at all since that morning. I was put on the highest dosage of pitocin allowed at that time and they were talking about getting me off the pitocin and redoing the cervadill if I had not made any changes soon. Not what I wanted at all. My doctor came in about 7 and checked my cervix which had dillated to almost 3 and contractions were getting stronger. Talk about a relief knowing that I was not doing a practice round of contractions but it was the real deal. We decided at the time to not break my water due to the risk of infection and knowing that there was not a lot of fluid there anyway. Well, my water broke an hour later and the next 2 hours, labor progressed very fast. Around 10 I was wanting to push and by 10:20, Dr. Hebard was ready and I was pushing. He came into this world at 10:56.
He didn't cry right away but after working with him for about 5 minutes and giving him some oxygen Bradan let us know he was here. After Stu and I got to hold him for awhile, they brought him down to the nursery. Stu went with him and watched as they performed all the newborn tests. Everything has checked out fine so far. After me recovering for an hour and eating, I was able to go down to the nursery and spend more time with him. Stu and I came back to our room were we both had a decent night sleep.
Stuart went to check on him this morning and he is doing great. No problems last night, he slept and even ate. Dr. Cogley, who is Shelby's pediatrican, will be checking him over this morning and giving us her thoughts on how long he will be staying here. I will hopefully begin nursing him this morning and get to keep him in my room. And as for me, my recovery process is doing great.
Stuart will be going to get his big sister later this morning so she can meet him. I am pretty excited for her chance to meet her baby brother.
As for the name, his middle name comes from Stu's grandpa who passed away when Stu was about 8 years old. Bradan is a name that I have always liked but Stu didn't. About 3 months ago, he changed his mind and I got my way.







6 comments:

  1. Congrats! You're right, those stats are great. I am so happy that you have a healthy, beautiful baby boy to take home soon. We'll be thinking of you back here in Kansas.

    -Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Quinn , Stu, and Shelby on the safe arrival of little Bradan. You're right that is a good size baby -- I had
    several that were smaller. I am so happy all turned out well!! Right now I am at Donnas; have been babysitting this week as her sitter is on vacation. Brody is a good kid to babysit.
    Also got to go to Dylans Mothers Day spa for mothers and grandmas last evening. FUN!!
    imagine Shelby is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!What a big boy for being early!!! Our thoughts and prayers are with you!!!
    Love,
    Shane, Ann & Dylan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!! I'm so happy for you. What a wonderful Mother's Day gift. Much love, Kendra

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are so glad to hear everything went so smoothly and all is well so far. Can't wait to hear about Shelby meeting him for the first time. It's the sweetest moment when siblings meet. You'll remember it forever.
    Congrats, Loves and Hugs!!!
    Dana, Kate, Kennedy and Gentry
    P.S. Oh and Quinn....you did a great job through all of this! And Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations Stu, Quinn and Shelby! We're so happy for you all. Can't wait to meet the little guy in person. Keep posting pictures so we can watch him grow.
    Love you lots,
    Alan, Julie
    Phil, Lindsey and Colin

    ReplyDelete